Quote

"We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden." - Anon.

Wednesday 16 March 2011

Little Yellow Flying Saucers...

Yellow Scallop Squash
I got some seeds for Yellow Scallop squash (a tender summer squash sometimes called "Patty Pan") free last year with a gardening magazine, and as it was too late to start them off, I promptly forgot about them and left them in the greenhouse until I got round to clearing it in January and rediscovered them. The edges of the packet were slightly nibbled, but the seeds themselves looked ok.

Come this spring, I thought I would try to grow some, although I honestly wasn't expecting any to germinate given the conditions they had been left in for the last 8 months. Hence I'm rather pleased to be potting these little plants on now, and am looking forward to (hopefully) getting some little yellow flying saucers come summer!

Squash "Yellow Scallop" seedlings

4 comments:

  1. It's amazing how determined some things are to grow, regardless of the conditions they've been left in - sadly, not in my garden though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are living on my windowsill at the moment. Your conservatory would be ideal for something like this...give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck, it'll be interesting to see how you get on with these! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It'll be intersting to see what happens, but if your 'yellow flying saucers' have cross pollinated with something else, who knows what you might get instead?

    Hopefully not little green men ;)

    A pack of Nasturtium seeds is yours if you's like to pop me your address details to vegplotting at gmail dot com :)

    ReplyDelete